At BigTed our priority is to keep your data secure and treat it with respect. We aim to handle your data fairly and lawfully at all times. We're also committed to being transparent about what we do. This policy explains how we collect, use, transfer and store your personal data. We know that there's a lot of information here, but it's important that you understand your rights as a customer.
We collect your data in a number of ways.
Your personal data, is any information that can be used to identify you directly or indirectly. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data). We collect your data in a number of ways. You can expand each of the sections below for more details.
We collect and processes your personal data when you engage with us directly in store, including our Belong arenas, or when you visit our websites, including any data you may provide when you:
- create an online account;
- sign up to our newsletter or one of our loyalty schemes;
- pre-order or purchase a product or service;
- enter a competition;
- take part in a customer survey or contact customer services
Through 3rd parties
We may receive personal data about you from a number of third parties including:
- Social media organisations
- Customer research and feedback agencies
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together follows:
- Identity Data:
- We collect your name and title when we process your online order or register you for our loyalty schemes and other online services. We may need to verify your age or date of birth to comply with the law, for example to ensure the products we sell you are age appropriate or to ensure we are not collecting children’s data without parental consent. We may also collect your name and date of birth, identity (passport or driving licence) as part of our process for determining whether to process a refund or exchange.
- Contact Data
- When you shop with us online, we will collect your billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers so that we can take payment from you, fulfil your order and keep you updated with your order status. We will also collect your address.
- Financial Data:
- We use third party hosted systems to collect your tokenised payment card data when you shop with us in store and online. We also offer certain services on direct debit and provide customer finance for certain purchases, in both instances via our third-party service providers. We will also collect your payment card information as part of our in store process for determining whether to process a refund or exchange.
- Transaction Data:
- We record details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Technical Data:
- When you browse our website we collect internet protocol (IP) address, login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, device ID, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices that you use to access our websites or apps.
- Profile Data:
- When you register an account with us or sign-up to our loyalty schemes, we collect your username and password. We build up a profile of the purchases or orders you have made, your use of our services, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
- Usage Data:
- Information about your use of our website, products and services.
- Marketing and Communications Data:
- Includes your acceptance or otherwise in receiving marketing communications from us and your communication preferences.
We also collect, use and share anonymised and aggregated data for statistical analysis purposes. For example, we may anonymise and aggregate your Usage Data to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific website feature.
We do not require you to disclose any special categories of data (data concerning race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation, trade union membership, health information or genetic data) or data about criminal records and convictions. It is prohibited to post special categories of data or data about criminal records and convictions on our online forums but if you do so, we will be processing this data because you have chosen to make it public.
If you don't provide personal data
Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have- or are trying to enter into with you (for example when you place an order for our goods and services) and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract with you. In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have ordered from us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we rely on the following lawful bases when processing your data. You can expand each section below to find out more about the purposes for which we rely on each of these bases.
- to process your order and the associated payment and to deliver your products or services (including services in our Belong arenas);
- to determine whether to process a return or exchange in accordance with your rights under our Returns Policy;
- to register you for one of our loyalty schemes;
- if you enter a competition;
- to administer your account;
- to notify you of changes to our terms and conditions
Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- to undertake analysis and develop insight into your interests and preferences for marketing purposes;
- to send you direct marketing communications where the law permits this;
- to share your data with carefully selected third parties who may deliver marketing or targeted advertising to you from time to time related to our products and services;
- to ensure your payment card is not being used without your consent and to prevent and detect fraud;
- for the purpose of making or defending an insurance or legal claim that may involve you;
- to seek your feedback or undertake customer research to improve our products and services;
- in order to run our business, for the provision of IT services and network security;
- to deliver relevant website content and advertisements to you and to measure and understand the effectiveness of such advertisements so we may develop our products and services and inform our marketing strategy;
- to monitor, understand and continuously improve your online experience when you browse and transact with our website;
- to manage our relationship with you and investigate and respond to your queries or complaints;
- to assess the quality of our services including the extent to which our services comply with the law;
- to undertake data mining and analysis for the prevention and detection of fraud, including for loss prevention management by ensuring that terms and conditions are being followed and to detect and prevent misuse of our services;
- via video surveillance for security reasons to enable us to follow up on incidents and to prevent and report criminal offences in our stores;
- to maintain accounting records, for the analysis of financial results, for internal and external audit purposes and for the purpose of seeking professional advice on legal or tax matters;
- for quality and training purposes;
- for the purpose of bringing or defending a legal or insurance claim
In a limited number of scenarios and where required by law, we rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data:
- for electronic, direct marketing communications (i.e. those we send you by email or SMS);
- to take photo and/or video images of you in our Belong arena for advertising and marketing purposes.
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal data uses, particularly around marketing and advertising. We hope that you will be happy for us to send you news and promotional offers but you are free to change your mind at any time. We may use your personal data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you. You may receive marketing communications from us if you have given us your contact details when ordering a product or service from us and have not opted out. In other cases, and when required by the law, we will ask you for your consent to receive marketing from us.
3rd Party marketing
We may share your data from time to time with carefully selected third parties where it is in our legitimate interest and theirs to do so. This includes third parties who may serve you with targeted media advertising, related to our products and services. However, these third parties will have no right to send your direct marketing communications by email or text message without your consent.
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting customer services at any time.
There are a number of third parties with whom we share your data in order to provide our products and services; manage our relationship with you; monitor and improve the quality of our services and your experience; keep you engaged with our business through tailored marketing communications and advertising and to comply with our legal and contractual obligations.
Where we regularly share your data with processors or controllers, we have data sharing agreements in place which require them to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers who process data on our behalf to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
In the list below we have set out the types of processors and controllers who receive your data:
- Payment services providers when you pay in store or online for a product or service;
- Transport and Logistics
- Couriers and other logistics suppliers we use to deliver your order to you.
- Media and Advertising
- Advertising networks providers when you browse our website; media, broadcast and advertising organisations we may share your data with from time to time.
Other Disclosures of you personal data
Change of purpose
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If you wish to get an explanation as to how the processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, please contact the Data Protection Team.
If we need to use your personal data for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
From time to time we may use data processors who process your personal data outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). In these cases, we will always ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to your data by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission.
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe.
Please contact our customer service team if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the EEA.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions, and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so. If you are concerned about a potential breach of your data, please contact our customer service team.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.